On January 8th we will be taking a break from the Coil madness to co-host the day-long Umyuangvigkaq, “a place to gather ideas”, in the form of a Long-table durational Sewing Bee. Here we will stitch together a quilt of conversation, ideas, and fabrics. Every 75 minutes we’ll shift a conversation to a new critical topic engaging the intersections of the Indigenous with contemporary American culture.
In an effort to share in learning and knowledge, here are some readings the provocateurs suggest:
- Jolene Rickard, Visualizing Sovereignty
- Eve Tuck, Decolonization is Not a Metaphor
- Project Muse on Gesturing Indigenous Futurities Through the Remix
- Karyn Recollet, Glyphing decolonial love through urban flash mobbing and Walking with our Sisters
- Australia Council on Showcasing Creativity and Presenting First Nations Art
- Australia Council on Building Aboriginal Audiences
Find out more info and RSVP for the event on the Sewing Bee page.